Hello from Sawrey (Miss Potter village)

Far Sawrey lies in rolling farmland and wooded hillsides above Lake Windermere. It is the area where the "Miss Potter" film is based upon. This is a blog from the village shop, which is not dis-similar to the Beatrix Potter Ginger and Pickles Shop here in the heart of the village where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote her world famous stories including "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"

Tuesday, June 12, 2007


Good Morning from Far Sawrey, its a rather overcast morning here. Benny is outside the shop chomping on his bone and putting his cute face on whenever a customer approaches (he has had 2 biscuits already!) The village is extremely quiet today, in goes the sun, in goes the visitors I guess...Time to catch up on chores and re stocking the shop...
Todays picture is of a dry stone wall, I have a thing about dry stone walls, I think they are beautiful, I always have!
"Yan on twa and twa on yan, One stone on two and two stones on one" walling quote I like :-)
One of the things I want to do before I am 40 is learn how to build a dry stone wall? I want to learn the basics so that one day I can make a garden with a lovely dry stone wall and some dry stone wall balls, probably sounds stranger than it is! I have asked both of the local farmers if they will teach me later in the year, they both laughed, they think I am joking! One day hey! this is a link to an inspirational site...... http://www.drystone-walling.co.uk/news.shtml
Below is a poem that I also like.....

THE OLD WALLER by Gordon Allen North
I see him now, the rangy, dry-stone waller, his long, lean frame and shabby, greening hat; his twinkling eyes; the way he'd greet a caller with friendly nod, content to work and chat. His long, sinewy fingers, scored and calloused, selected stones with judgment long matured and placed them firmly, neatly - and unharassed - where the perfect stability ensured. The wall and he seemed almost kin together, dun-coloured, earthy, with a touch of green, elemental, piquant as the weather that sweeps the rugged, Lower Pennines scene. I shall not forget the rangy, dry-stone waller, his long, lean frame and shabby, greening hat: where is he now, and what celestial caller hails him today and pauses for a chat?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter Society Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory