Hello from Sawrey (Miss Potter village)

Far Sawrey lies in rolling farmland and wooded hillsides above Lake Windermere. It is the area where the "Miss Potter" film is based upon. This is a blog from the village shop, which is not dis-similar to the Beatrix Potter Ginger and Pickles Shop here in the heart of the village where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote her world famous stories including "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"

Friday, July 06, 2007






















Good Soggy Morning from Sawrey, Its that wet today even the birds are trying to take refuge in the shop! Having to keep the door shut as I type! I am suspecting that the five day forecast that I did on wednesday has got it a tad wrong! A customer who has just been in tells me she slipped on some wet slate yesterday, I had to stop her at the point were she was going to show me her bruise! (I always say I could do with a pop up doctor under the counter!) but despite that it just serves as a reminder to take good care out there in the rain...
Its another bread day today and the aroma that fills the shop when it arrives is quite intoxicating, the rye bread with raisins and fennel is proving a popular seller
One of the pictures above is of some of the sheepy inspired things that we want to sell. I was talking to a customer this morning who also thinks its a good idea and she said something very true about textiles and rugs, "things in life come full circle" (Liz Mallett)
I have learned lots this week about wool and fleeces and am saddened to learn just how little farmers can get for fleeces! Our crafty area is going to be a team effort, the farmers are going to get a good price for their fleeces and so too is everyone thats going to be involved in making the items that we are going to sell. I love the idea of working together in a co-operative kind of way, its sort of fair trade and we are great believers that people should be paid right for what they do!
Thats about all for now folks "Bring me Sunshine" is my thought for the day

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter Society Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory