Hello from Sawrey (Miss Potter village)

Far Sawrey lies in rolling farmland and wooded hillsides above Lake Windermere. It is the area where the "Miss Potter" film is based upon. This is a blog from the village shop, which is not dis-similar to the Beatrix Potter Ginger and Pickles Shop here in the heart of the village where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote her world famous stories including "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Rememberence Sunday

Good Morning from far sawrey......its Rememberence Sunday today, there was a service earlier this morning at the church in the village, I think there was a large congregation, well there were lots of cars leaving the church afterwards...including the vicar who I imagine was in a hurry to get to his other 4 sevices! Amazing!
I went out for dinner last night and was late home so I have not fully come too yet...
The Times newspaper magazines did not arrive yesterday, which upset the times readers, I phoned up the newspaper distribution people and reminded them that we have lots of loyal times readers in the village and this keeps happening and its just not good enough...today they have sent me more saturday times magazines than I could ever wish for and guess what, not enough sunday times magazines!!!! DOH!!! So if you have a sunday paper with a saturday magazine in it, its ok you not going mad, it is sunday, I am getting confused just writing it all down :-)
This weeks bonus ball competition was a rollover and has been won by the woman who lives over the road from the shop, she put it in the name of her grand-daughter who is staying for the weekend, I bet she is in for a treat or two!
Reports from the domino night on friday night at Braithwaite Hall are that it was a success and everyone had a great night and that the food was really good...I hope the committe raised lots of money, I will try and find out how much...
Yesterday was such a windy day up here, however today things are much calmer today and the newspapers are remaining in the stand, mother reported yesterday that they were blowing all over the place...
A friend has sent me another link that I thought I would paste onto the blog for your amusement
http://joe-ks.com/archives_may2005/Elastic_Baby.htm
The sunday paper headlines range from stories on Brittany Spears divorce to Gordon Browns plans for the labour leadership...Hmmmm my headline is Rememberence Sunday and here is a poem I think appropriate..

In Flanders Fields
In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row That mark our place; and in the sky The larks, still bravely singing, fly Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, Loved and were loved, and now we lie In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe: To you from failing hands we throw The torch; be yours to hold it high. If ye break faith with us who die We shall not sleep, though poppies grow In Flanders fields.
John McCrae (1872 - 1918)

Love from Far Sawrey

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter Society Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory