Hello from Sawrey (Miss Potter village)

Far Sawrey lies in rolling farmland and wooded hillsides above Lake Windermere. It is the area where the "Miss Potter" film is based upon. This is a blog from the village shop, which is not dis-similar to the Beatrix Potter Ginger and Pickles Shop here in the heart of the village where Beatrix Potter lived and wrote her world famous stories including "The Tale of Peter Rabbit"

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Greetings from Far Sawrey.....For the first time in 2007 and we have put the vegetables outside to display, thought we would risk it as it has been fine for so many days now....hard to believe it is winter....There are lots and lots of people around today, especially cyclists and walkers.its a great day for it though. Our friends who own local bed and breakfasts are reporting a good trade for this time of year which is good all round.....

Well I could not sleep last night, the appeal from my case in london last november is going to be handed down on monday I believe and I am feeling quite anxious, not sure why, anyway I decided rather than sit up and think too much I would do something to occupy my mind........I came to the shop at 11pm last night and started decorating...how mad is that!!! Funnily enough I really enjoyed myself, I got a coat of white paint on the walls and varnished some of the shelves that were in the post office that was.....Left a note for mother telling her the decorating fairy had been in the night!!! The shelves look MUCH better with some varnish on, its a deep mahogony colour and will make the shop much look better when its all finished....Mother has just popped to kendal to get some more varnish..

Took delivery of something strange this week, yes mother has been ordering again........a bag of whole nutmegs!! Never seen anything quite like them, wont tell you what I thought they were, mother says its lush finely grated on things, it must be my age! Dont think I have ever tried it, will let you know when I do! She recommends mashed potato!!! Hmmmm I am not so sure!

The van is proving a great asset to the shop and its great driving that bit higher up, can see round corners and avoid the unexpectable....5years I have lived in the lakes and it never fails to amaze me what these windey roads do to people, they seem to lose all sense of perspective.... A couple of years ago I had to indicate to overtake a car who had its hazzard triangle out behind the car on a particularly narrow road, as I was overtaking, I saw a family of four, sat with a full picnic table out at the front of the car all sitting down and tucking in! Unbelievable but true...

Happy Saturday :-)

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter Society Blogs - BlogCatalog Blog Directory